>

Thursday 19 February 2015

Week 1 : Polymer Clay Challenge : Back to back entry !

Hi !

 I entered the #2015PCChallenge quite late , as in the 5 th week. This leaves me for 4 weeks to catch up on.
I had a few completed pieces , but I don't think its fair to enter those , as most had been completed before January.I did not want to come up with brand new pieces either , because my competency level has certainly increased during this month , thanks to the challenge. While this is an excellent change , it does not show progression correctly.

What I have done is , I have a stash of half completed projects, components that needed sanding and buffing and trial canes. My plan for the back to back is to bring some life into them.


These were very first complex canes I made.I still remember how happy I was to be progressing from bulls eye canes and jelly rolls :) .

So Week 1 : Kaleidoscopic floral earrings : Primary piece


Week 1 : Kaleidoscopic Cell earrings : Companion piece 




I could not really bring out the translucency of these canes even after a lot of sanding. I think I might have to get a Dremel soon !
So what I did it was this :
1. I provided a thicker base. ( important learning bit for me  : make the base before hand instead ) 
2.Attached the stud base
3.Sanded from 320 grit to 1500. ( lost a few finger tips)
4.Buffed manually
5.Drilled using a drill vise
6.Made the jump rings
7.Put it together

I can see all the flaws , the finger print I cant sand away because it is in a groove , the browning in one of the studs , uneven application of cane slices.Even then I am happy , because all those flaws have taught me.

Thanks for reading. :)
Comments are always welcome !


No comments:

Post a Comment